Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mama says "Crazy is as crazy does"

So it's official. I have lost my mind.
I have tried for years to joke it off. That way I can do bizarre things but seem like I am still with it because I am aware of my craziness and I have pre-warned everyone.

In my defense (and trust me I need one) I do in fact have several children, who go this way and that at all hours of the day. And each of them think they are my favorite and each of them think that they are the center of the universe and so I must drop everything and cater to their every whim. And I try to.

I do work full time.

And I think I may have a few spazzy post pregnancy hormones that have taken up permanent residency and are refusing to leave.

And maybe I should try to blame it on any one of those things. So as to avoid the expense and the embarrassment of my husband or my mother having me committed to the loony bin.

But on Friday night as I was making dinner, I realized that I had forgotten to purchase a major part of the meal. And so in a frenzy, I ran to the store and bought the item and raced back before the entire meal was a total loss. And I parked my car in the garage, put the door down, went inside, finished dinner, fed the baby, did a load of laundry and all the while, my car was in the garage RUNNING. Yep, filling up our home with I am sure carbon monoxide gasses, not to mention wasting gasoline.

Who does that?? Who gets out of the car and doesn't notice that it is on? Who can't hear that the car is on? Who can't see the lights are still on. Who can't hear it while she is in the kitchen cooking?

A freaking lunatic... that's who.

Poor Raleigh. He just grabbed me and hugged me and stroked my hair and told me I'd be okay someday. And then made a secret call to the State Hospital to see if they had any openings. I will see you all in three to five.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually this happens frequently, I think. I have done it twice, fortunately I heard the engine still running as I walked past the front of the car on my way into the house. Our friends down the street left their engine running this summer and about 10 p.m. we heard the paramedics screaming down the street. Dad went down to see who was in trouble and found out they had nearly killed themselves. You do have many distractions, for sure, so don't be too hard on yourself. Your family loves you and me most of all.

Peggy Glasmann said...

I actually have a car quiet enough that I have tried to start a car that is already running. Don't fret, your kids will grow up and then one day they will move out and your sanity will go with them!! I once saw a bumper sticker that said: "Insanity is inherited. You get is from your kids"!!

Jenny said...

lol,it is so funny that he really said "you will be ok someday"...That is totally something Emery would say to me. I don't know how you stay as sane as you do with that many kiddos...I go crazy with just two! So don't feel bad!

The Barton's said...

I can tell you who leaves the car running. A Mother who works outside the home and has a growing family. Kaci I cannot believe how much you and I have in common. Now, ok I have not left the car running but I have done many crazy things such as locking my babies in the car. hang tight it seems as the world spins faster every day.