Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sometimes they "JUST KNOW"

When I was a girl growing up and living with my parents... they just knew stuff. Call it the spirit, call it parental intuition, call it whatever you like... but they just knew what was going on. I would walk in the door from a date, I wouldn't even say a word and my mom would say "oh no, what happened?" She "just knew".

I drove a 1976 Volkswagen bug. It was the cutest car in the high school parking lot, but the dang thing had a broken gas gage and so I would run out of gas at least once a week. (For my 17th birthday I got 4 gas cans from 4 different friends, no lie, ask anyone) One night on my way home from my friends house (who incidentally lived in the scary Orange Groves out in the middle of nowhere) in the pouring rain at MIDNIGHT, I ran out of gas. This was before cell phones. And I promise you, I only had to sit there for 15 minutes and here comes my dad. He "just knew".

So 18 months ago, I moved up here to Northern Utah. I haven't even for one day regretted that decision, however I do from time to time miss my family. It is hard to be the only one living away. I miss the realness and goodness of my sisters and how they are focused on all the right things and aren't catty and fake and superficial like most girls are. I am grateful for the true and genuine love and support of my parents to both me and Raleigh and ALL of our children. I miss those brothers too, they make me laugh. It is hard not to get to do all the fun things we used to do when we lived there. It is hard not to have them right around the corner when I need them. And I really needed them last week.

So, just as they used to when I was young (or maybe because Raleigh called them) they "just knew" to call me and say that they were coming up. "We're just coming up for the day" they said. And while they were here my dad "just knew" to give me the greatest dad hug and tell me he loved me and my mom "just knew" to sit and watch TV with me and get caught up on our lives. It was what I needed. I didn't have to tell them how I'd been feeling... they "just knew". Sometimes you just need to hang out with people that you know FOR SURE love you. I got to do that this week and it was so nice. Thanks for just knowing and acting on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU "just know" how to say the very best things and express yourself so beautifully. I'm happy we could "be there" for you, although I'm not really sure we "just knew"....BUT I'm glad you think we did.

thiakaren said...

I know I say this about most of your posts but seriously this was my favorite! Dad hugs are the BEST and not much is better than mom time. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful available family! Just basking in unconditional love from people who take you just as you are! You deserve it all! Hugs Karen

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

Mom and Dad are the BEST! They really do KNOW what we need and when we need it.
WE ALL miss you guys so much. Savanna always asks when she is gong to see "The Lunds" again.
I miss my sister...us Little girls aren't complete without our big super hilarious sister. Hope you are surviving the holiday madness!
Love you